Join SportNation...

The online entertainment destination that gives you the edge - get the inside line, get involved, bet online and always get rewarded. Join our nation.

By: Team Sport Nation 2 months ago

British boxing champion Anthony Joshua is set to take on Kubrat Pulev next month, and the 27-year-old has warned the Bulgarian to bring his A-game. Joshua was originally thought to be planning a rematch with Wladimir Kiltschko, before the former announced his retirement on August 3.

Boxing fans were left disappointed when it was revealed that the long anticipated Joshua v Klitschko rematch wasn’t going to happen. None so much as Joshua himself – “I was definitely looking forward to Klitschko [rematch]. He’s retired and I wish him well, and my journey doesn’t stop, so this is the next step now, a mandatory challenger,” said the 27-year-old.

New opponent Kubrat Pulev may not have the same prestige as Klitschko, but the Bulgarian is definitely a force to be reckoned with.

Joshua said of Pulev: “Kubrat Pulev had 300 amateur fights. He’s had near enough 30 professional fights and he lost one to the former heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko,”

Adding: “He’s talented, he built himself up to world championship level. He got knocked down, he stayed active, he’s had wins since then – that was his only defeat and now he comes to face me.

“He wants what I have and I just want his soul, so let’s get it on October 28.”

Photos: Getty