West Ham v Stoke City
Monday, Apr 16 – 20:00
West Ham managed to hold Chelsea to a 1-1 draw last weekend, thanks to a late equaliser from striker Javier Hernandez. The game featured a man of the match performance from goalkeeper Joe Hart, who has become a regular is David Moyes’ starting XI over the last few weeks. Fans will be expecting another good performance from Hart today, with a place in Gareth Southgate’s England squad becoming ever more likely. The Hammers currently sit 15th in the Premier League table, six points above the drop zone.
Stoke City lost 2-1 to Tottenham in their last league match, and are now without a win in nine consecutive games. Manager Paul Lambert claimed his side gave an ‘excellent’ performance against Spurs, and suggested that if they keep performing at the same level, they could avoid relegation. Lambert will be without Charlie Adam today, who is currently serving a three match suspension. Maxim Choupo-Moting is a doubt having picked up a groin problem.
Let’s take a look at the stats:
- West Ham could claim their first league double over the Potters since the 2008/09 Premier League season.
- Stoke City have only lost one of their last nine matches against West Ham (W3 D5) – the defeat coming in the reverse fixture this season.
- The Potters are undefeated in their last five away matches against West Ham in the league – four of these games ended in a draw (W1).
- Stoke City have failed to win each of their last four matches in the Premier League played on a Monday (D1 L3).
- The Hammers have a chance to record back-to-back victories at home for the first time since December 2016.
- Stoke City have scored just seven goals in the Premier League in 2018 – fewer than any other side in the competition.
- Paul Lambert’s side have lost each of their last seven matches in London in the Premier League – shipping 27 goals.
- Javier Hernandez started his first 11 matches in the Premier League for West Brom – scoring four goals. Since David Moyes took over at the club, he has started just five matches, scoring four goals.
- Marko Arnautovic has been involved in 13 goals in the Premier League this season (nine goals, four assists).
Stoke have struggled for goals since the start of the year, and whilst Paul Lambert has remained optimistic throughout, a loss today could spell the end for the Potters. West Ham appear to have turned a page since their 3-0 defeat to Burnley last month, and David Moyes will be hoping his side can continue their positive form with a win against the Potters. Marko Arnautovic has been the key man for the Hammers, and we’re expecting him to shine against his former club tonight.