Newcastle v Southampton
Saturday, Mar 10 – 15:00
Newcastle lost 2-0 against Liverpool in their last league match, and have now won just one of their last eight in all competitions. A pragmatic approach from Rafa Benitez has guided the Magpies through a difficult run of fixtures, but they have a real chance of putting some daylight between themselves and the relegation zone tomorrow, and fans will be expecting Newcastle to take the game to the Saints from the first whistle, much like they against Man United last month. Benitez’s side currently sit 16th in the Premier League table – two points above the drop zone.
Southampton were held to a 0-0 draw when they hosted Stoke City last weekend, keeping teetering on the edge of the relegation zone. Manager Mauricio Pellegrino claimed that his side deserved to win the game, but admitted that the Saints found it difficult to convert possession into goals. Southampton have won just one of their last 16 league games, but have managed to take points from Burnley, Tottenham, and Watford since the start of the year. They currently sit 17th on the leaderboard, taking 28 points from their 29 matches this season.
- Newcastle have failed to win any of their last seven matches against Southampton in the Premier League (D3 L4).
- Southampton has only failed to find the back of the net in one of their last 19 matches against Newcastle in the Premier League – scoring in each of the last 12 fixtures.
- Newcastle have only lost one of their last 12 home games against Southampton in the Premier League (W8 D3).
- The Magpies managed to win their last match at St. James’ Park following a run eight matches without a win at the stadium – they have not won consecutive matches at home since September.
- Southampton are now unbeaten in four matches in the Premier League – only Tottenham are on a longer run (5).
- Newcastle have only scored 12 goals at home in the Premier League this season – fewer than any other club (level with Burnley).
- Southampton have conceded 11 headed goals in the Premier League this season, including five in their last nine games.
- The Saints have also conceded 11 goals from outside the area in the Premier League this season – more than any other club in the competition.
- Rafa Benitez has not managed to claim victory over Southampton since his first ever match against them back in 2004 (D2 L3).
- Joselu has been responsible for 33% of Newcastle’s goals at home in the Premier League this season (4/12).
This is a huge game for both clubs, and the result will certainly be significant come the end of the season. Newcastle managed to hold the Saints to a 2-2 draw in the reverse fixture at St Mary’s, with Manolo Gabbiadini proving the key figure for Mauricio Pellegrino’s side, with two fantastic goals. Southampton and Newcastle have been inconsistent over the last few weeks, and considering both sides cannot afford to lose tomorrow, this one could be a cagey affair. Low scoring draw.