Swansea City v Tottenham
Tuesday, Jan 02 – 19:45pm
Carlos Carvalhal will face his first big test in the Premier League tomorrow when Swansea host Tottenham. The Portuguese has vowed to get his fellow countryman Renato Sanches playing to his full potential, as well as ensuring that his team will perform with ‘desire and intent to play attacking, aggressive football’. Carvalhal is Swansea’s fifth manager in a little over two years, and perhaps faces a tougher challenge than any of his predecessors. The Swans managed to win just one of their seven matches in December.
Tottenham experienced another high-scoring month in December, thanks to the exploits of Harry Kane – who now holds the record for the most Premier League goals in a calendar year. Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino labelled the England international ‘world class’ before questioning if their was a better striker in world football at the moment. Kane will no doubt play an important role in tomorrow’s match, and three points could see Spurs push into the Top 4, ahead of both Liverpool and Arsenal.
Let’s take a look at the stats:
- Swansea have lost more Premier League games against Tottenham than against any other club (W0 D3 L10).
- A win tomorrow’s would see Spurs go unbeaten against the Swans in 14 Premier League matches – only two clubs boast better records – Man United v Crystal Palace (17), and Man United v Charlton (16).
- In fact, the last time Swansea beat Tottenham in the league was way back in October 1982.
- Both Swansea and Spurs have scored in each of their last six meetings in the Premier League at the Liberty Stadium.
- Swansea managed to hold Tottenham to a 0-0 draw in the reverse fixture at Wembley, despite the home side recording 26 shots – 8 on target.
It’s hard not to admire Carlos Carvalhal’s confidence heading into tomorrow’s match, but the reality is that Swansea are facing a huge relegation battle over the next few months, and if they try and play aggressive attacking football against Spurs – they’re going to get punished. Harry Kane has been scoring for fun recently, and there should be plenty of goals in this one.