Watford v Southampton
Saturday, Jan 13 – 15:00pm
Watford bounced back from consecutive league defeats to Swansea and Man City, by beating Bristol City 3-0 in the FA Cup last weekend. The Hornets have struggled to maintain their early season form over the last few weeks, leading to reports that Marco Silva is looking to bring a new goalkeeper to the club during the January transfer window, with Getafe’s Vicente Guaita the most likely candidate. The Hornets sit 10th in the Premier League table, taking 25 points from 22 games this season.
Southampton ended a nine game winless streak when they beat Fulham 1-0 in their FA Cup 3rd Round clash. Mauricio Pellegrino fielded a strong side against the Cottagers, but while fans will be looking for a good run in the cup, Southampton desperately need to improve their league form to take the pressure off their under-fire manager. The Saints currently sit 17th on the leaderboard, level on points (20) with 18th placed Stoke City.
Let’s take a look at the stats:
- Watford have claimed just one home victory over the Saints in the Premier League – their win coming in December 1999.
- The last time Southampton lost both league matches against Watford was during the 2007/08 Championship season.
- The last eight meetings between these two clubs at Vicarage Road have seen 34 goals (19 Watford, 15 Southampton) – averaging at four goals per game.
- Watford have dropped 16 points from winning positions in the league this season – no club has dropped more.
- Southampton are without a win in nine matches in the Premier League (D4 L5) – the only club currently experiencing a longer run is West Brom (20).
- The last time the Saints went more than nine games without a win in the Premier League was back in 2005 (10 matches).
- Watford have taken 48% of their total Premier League points from home matches this season – the lowest percentage in the competition.
- Nathan Redmond have been involved in five goals during his last five appearances against Watford in the Premier League (four goals, one assist).
- Abdoulaye Doucoure has found the back of the net in both of his matches against Southampton, scoring his first ever Premier League goal against the Saints in March 2017.
Many of Watford’s recent problems have stemmed from poor defensive displays, with the Hornets unable to keep a clean sheet since mid-November. Southampton have also experienced problems at the back, and have struggled against high-energy attacking sides such as Leicester City and Tottenham. Historically, this is a fixture that has produced plenty of goals, and we’re banking on that trend continuing this afternoon. Both teams to score.