West Brom v Brighton
Saturday, Jan 13 – 15:00pm
West Brom beat Exeter City 2-0 in their FA Cup game last weekend, thanks to goals from Salomon Rondon and Jay Rodriguez. The victory marked Alan Pardew’s first win as Baggies boss, and the former Crystal Palace manager will now be hoping West Brom can improve on their recent league form. Pardew’s side failed to win any of their league matches last month; however, they did manage to draw with Arsenal, Everton, and Liverpool. The Baggies sit 19th on the leaderboard, with 16 points from 22 matches this season.
Brighton expanded on their 2-2 draw with Bournemouth on MD22, by beating Crystal Palace 2-1 in the FA Cup. The Seagulls experienced a tough run of fixtures in December, winning just one of their seven Premier League matches. Chris Hughton will be without midfielder Steve Sidwell, who remains sidelined with a back injury. Winger Izzy Brown has also sustained a long term injury, and will return to parent club Chelsea this week.
What the stats tell us:
- West Brom have never lost at home to Brighton (W5 D4) – this run stretches between 1979 and 1993.
- The Baggies have gone more home games against Brighton without a defeat than they have against any other club (9).
- The Seagulls have however, won three of their last four matches against West Brom in the league – winning 3-1 earlier in the season.
- Each of the last three meetings in the league between these two clubs has ended in a 3-1 scoreline.
- West Brom are currently without a win in 20 matches in the Premier League – making them the fourth club to experience a 20 game winless run in the competition.
- Brighton have failed to score in eight away matches in the Premier League this seasons – more than any other side – they have failed to find the back of the net in each of their last five games away from home.
- Alan Pardew has collected nine of a possible 57 points in the Premier League since September 2016 (W1 D6 L12).
- Chris Hughton has won three of his last six matches against West Brom in the Premier League – winning more games against the Baggies than any other team in the competition.
- Jay Rodriguez and Salomon Rondon are West Brom’s joint top scorers in the Premier League this season (3 goals).
Alan Pardew has failed to give West Brom the boost that they were looking for, and Baggies fans have now been forced to watch their side go winless for 20 consecutive league games. Taking three points from today’s match will be essential for Pardew, but finding a way past Brighton will be no easy feat. The Seagulls swept West Brom aside earlier in the season; however, they have been completely toothless over their last five away matches. This should be a close game, but we’re backing West Brom to get that much needed win.